Calgary, the City Without

Some people love Calgary.

Some people also love the sound on nails being dragged across a blackboard.


I am neither of those people.


Seven years ago, I left Calgary to go to university in Vancouver. Admittedly, at the time, I had no idea what to expect from that city. Calgary is where I had lived for my entire 18 years of life. I knew nothing of other places.
I soon learned that there exist places where life doesn't revolve around a car. Since I have been back in Cowtown, I realise why I enjoy living elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong - the people are lovely and living is good. I just can no longer understand why anyone would want to live somewhere that is so desperately cold at times that even the quintessential cars seem to freeze.

Winter is an odd time. It does warm up periodically. However, this simply reduces the snow to slush and causes the roads to turn from ice rinks to muck puddles. After a day in this, your car invariably looks like it's been participating in a rally to Morocco.